Wednesday, August 8, 2012

the suffragette collection


I discovered a selection of larger-sized clothing from the 1950s in a small town noted for its importance in the women's rights movement. I suspect that they all came from the closet of the same woman. They're beautiful dresses with great ease and femininity. Unofficially, I think of them as "the suffragette's collection" because I like to imagine that the woman who wore them was part of her town's proud history. I posted two of them yesterday in the shop

My favorite is this white dress, even with the flaws I found. I think it's polyester, but it has such a heavy, cool hand that it feels just lovely. It calls to mind city hall weddings.

This dress is very eye-catching in person because of the vivid greens and blues. The colors seem quite modern to me, even though it has a clearly delicate, vintage look.


No comments:

Post a Comment